Since the sad news broke that fashion legend Oscar de la Renta has passed away, celebrities, models and fellow designers have been coming together on Intagram to share their sorrow for the loss of one of fashion’s all time greatest.
Fashion legend Oscar de la Renta, who dressed many celebrities and public figures, including Jaqueline Kennedy and Oprah Winfrey, and recently designed Amal Clooney’s wedding dress, passed away after battling cancer. He was 82.
- Oscar de la Renta shot to fame in the 1960s when first lady Jaqueline Kennedy used to wear his designs frequently. After Jackie Kennedy, other first ladies like Betty Ford, Nancy Reagan, Hillary Clinton and Laura Bush have worn many Oscar de la Renta creations.
- He launched his own label in 1965
- Stars including Audrey Hepburn, Cameron Diaz, Nicole Kidman, Penelope Cruz and Jessica Chastain favoured his designs for the red carpet over four decades
- One of de la Renta’s last commissions was Amal Clooney’s dress for her wedding to actor George on September 27
- Earlier this month, he appointed Nina Ricci’s artistic director, Peter Copping, as creative director of his company
Oscar was diagnosed with cancer in 2006