Hotel Café Royal, London’s first modern grand hotel just unveiled its new lobby and guest arrival experience.
Designed and overseen by the world-renowned architect and interior designer Piero Lissoni and created with a total investment of almost £5m, the large new lobby delivers an outstanding and glamorous entrance to the hotel. Inspired by the lobbies of the world’s Palace hotels, the new reception space at Hotel Café Royal is double height and one of the largest in London. With the new restaurant above, also designed by Lissoni, this new grand space fully completes the offering at the hotel, now open for five years.
Working closely with the hotel team, Lissoni has transformed the main entrance to the hotel on Air Street. The transformation of this historical space, part of the original Café Royal built in 1926 is a sensitive yet striking one, a hallmark of Lissoni’s work. The minimalist yet opulent lobby is characterized by a sense of space and contemporary glamour that marries the building’s guilded past with its patrons’ contemporary lifestyles. As visitors arrive through the double height revolving door they are first greeted by a view of the bespoke Murano glass chandelier that dominates the room.
Designed by a fabled Italian firm Vistosi, the chandelier weighs over 350 kilograms and is situated above a table at the centre of the room designed by Lissoni himself displaying flowers by Hotel Café Royal’s in-house florist Jamie Aston.
To complete the lobby, waiting areas with furniture pieces designed by Paolo Castelli and by legendary Italian makers Poltrona Frau, Cassina and Living Divani are available to guests and visitors alike.
Above this new lobby space Lissoni’s work continues into the 110 cover restaurant. A personal passion for food and kitchen design has led the architect to work with a number of chefs and now the internationally-renowned Laurent Tourondel who will shortly open the new restaurant at Hotel Café Royal.
The restaurant will offer relaxed yet refined all-day dining and will build upon the history of the famous Grill Room restaurant, established on the site in 1865.